A bit of a kludge, but I wanted to get some racks up on the van to carry my son’s kayaks and perhaps a Thule roof box. My old towers that I used when the van was a tin top would have been pretty tall on artificial rain gutters mounted to the pop top. We had another Thule rack, used on my wife’s Subaru and is one of those “sits on the roof and clamps to door frame” types. I decided to use it but swapping in the longer bars from the tall tower set.
Ok, to the scrap bin for this bent bit of 1/8″ stainless and away I went with the angle grinders.
I must have been hepped up on goofballs, this was the result for the rear most bracket (to be attached via pop top hinge bolts)
I drilled them for mounting and put them on. They looked, in a word, ass. Ok, back to the pile o’ metal and out with some 3/16″ (!) stainless flat. Cut, drill, grind, etc. and got something a little better. The first attempts were cut down to make the forward mounts and here are the results.
The racks are pretty firm, even with the forward pads not 100% in contact with roof.