UPDATE – 29/05/2012 – I posted my attempts at fixing the gutter clip/angle/hook issue on the Samba and a member responded that there may have been a mistake made at Go Westy with wrong hooks being sent out. So I emailed Go Westy, outlining the issue and I got a quick response of new hooks to be sent out to me. I am impressed by this prompt customer service, well done Go Westy.
I spent a couple of hours playing around with the fly, wanting to fix- what I see as problems – the gutter angles/hooks and the front strap system. Previous post about fly here.
I’m just using what I had on hand, and this is only preliminary stuff.
I had some longer metal hold down hooks, I sewed some velcro on to them. These hooks have a more obtuse angle on them compared to the Go Westy ones. I also attached some webbing attached hooks and buckle for the front straps. I added some silicone tape wrap to those hooks.
The new angles are longer, so I stuck on some velcro to the clip itself to provide a bit more area of velcrotude.
The new angles/clips do seem to hold on firmer.
Where my ShadyBoy awning is, I left the stock hooks, they are fed up from below and the hook part can’t pass through the space. I was dumb not to see this way before, I said in my previous post about the fly that it was not possible to attach these hooks, doh.
The front strap mod is not so successful, but not completely ass.
An annoying curl in the material at the front.
Well, it is a start, I’ll be trying to get it a little better. I’m not happy with the front strap idea.