Vanagon – pop top hole trimming part three

Not really much to show from the last couple of day’s work. What I have managed to do is fit the rear plywood headliner. This took many fitting and cutting iterations and the final result could have been arrived at sooner. I had a close fit in mind, but that was hard – wrestling and torturing the plywood into place, doesn’t like to bend in 2 planes at once – so the final result is more of a relaxed fit meaning I have to do more edge treatment. The following pics show the headliner in place but you can see it sags a little and I have clamps holding it in a curve at the front. Both issues will be dealt with by some wood battens, as yet to be designed 🙂

The rear wardrobe is not secured in these pics, but you can see how there will be a bit of a gap between the top of it and the headliner.

I also drilled and tapped (5 x 0.8 mm) the aluminum angle that support the door valence and the kitchen troughs. The stock westy uses sheet metal screws but seeing as the angle is 1/8″ thick, I needed to use machine screws. These are scavenged screws shown, if I get around to it I’ll buy some shiny new ones.

I used the wiring for the rear, driver’s side interior light to power the fluorescent light that is mounted to the underside of the trough. The trough was a bit tricky to install, the hidden ledger strip was a pain to position.

Doesn’t seem like I did much does it? The headliner was the time eater, applying the finish and cutting to shape. I did spend some time pondering the modified hinges for the fold out upper bunk, that is going to be fun as is figuring out how to finish those exposed curves in roof.

Leave you with a picture of the passenger’s side light on the front headliner. Makes a big difference having a light there, no, really it does.

Edit: Ed, if you are reading this, I’m waiting for more updates on your syncro project.

  1. #1 by Ed on July 31, 2011 - 10:42 pm

    Hi Alistair, that last line caught me by surprise. Big progress being made over here and I will try to update the blog this weekend. Nice work by the way on the whole westy roof operation. I know that jobs where you are figuring it out as you go often take a long time. Luckily for me now I am pretty much just bolting stuff back together so not too much figuring involved.

    • #2 by albell on August 1, 2011 - 8:15 am

      Looking forward to it Ed.

      ab

  2. #3 by Simon on August 3, 2011 - 8:56 am

    Said it before…

    I’m really liking the look of that plywood ceiling.

    Modern Danish, right?

    I – key – ee – yah!

    • #4 by albell on August 3, 2011 - 9:46 am

      Actually the other side is more modern Danish, or more modern Ikea. I tried a clean lacquer on that side but it was too cold looking. The warmer colour is perhaps more ” Ontario Cottage”.

      ab

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: