Vanagon – trying out a wiper hinge rivet sub.

A few posts ago I wrote how I took apart my spare wiper arms for powdercoat. The hinge between the arm and the hub was a steel rivet, had to drill that out. So what to do about reassembly?

Tried something this afternoon. Yeah, perhaps an over thought idea. Turned down some stainless rod to around 4.8mm, with a poofteenth narrower shoulder on each end ( the arm holes are smaller than the hub hole. Maybe it’s the paint.)

Tapped each end M3. I have some plastic pan head M3 machine screws, I’ll get some black stainless versions if I decide this is a good method. What gives me pause is I have to bend the wings of the arm apart to get the shouldered hinge pin, in the hub, inserted into arm. It’s kludgey.

But looks ok, arm moves nicely too.

  1. #1 by mariusstrom on February 16, 2020 - 9:16 am

    Looks exceptionally nice. I wonder if Delrin would work here or if it would get torn up due to friction.. or even brass (too soft?)

    You should sell these!

    • #2 by albell on February 16, 2020 - 9:22 am

      Marius,

      I thought about Delrin, but not sure strong enough. I couldn’t find my little bits of brass, I’ll look again.

      And I think, if I find the brass, I’ll make a rivet instead of the fussy threaded pin. That’s this mornings experiment.

      Alistair

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: