Vanagon – totally superfluous lantern holder

This is the result of Felder Enterprises announcing a lantern holder made using a Bus Depot awning gutter clamp. I can’t let FE get ahead so before I got down to paying work I made my own version. It is based on a design I’ve seen on the web that uses PVC tubing and a PVC “T”. But I had some aluminum stock so I used that.

I milled a slot at one end to hold the lantern bail.

IMG_3021

IMG_3024

And a slot to go over the rain gutter.

IMG_3023

And a bit of paint protection.

IMG_3025

On the van.

IMG_3019

And surprise, it clears the sliding door.

IMG_3020

I have no pressing need for a lantern holder, I guess i was just in one of those moods this morning.

Addendum, 28/03/2014

Well it seems that i didn’t get the itch scratched, i made another hanger. This time from some scrap thin walled stainless tubing. Part of it was the end of a roll, so it had a little bend to it. I thought that might be interesting. I ground the welds out just to make it look a little sleeker. I don’t think it works as well as the aluminum version, the tubing is so thin that the slot that goes over the gutter spreads a little when weight applied to the hanger. But it might be strong enough, we’ll see.

IMG_3026

h

IMG_3027

IMG_3028

1. #1 by Marius Strom on March 24, 2014 - 8:34 pm

I have a PVC one.. but you should sell the aluminum ones. I don’t like the way the PVC ones creak with my heavy-ish lantern on it. (also: it may clear your slider, but it won’t clear your front door)

• #2 by albell on March 24, 2014 - 9:57 pm

Yeah Marius, I bet there is a huge demand for lantern holders 🙂

Good point about not clearing the front doors, I’ll check, but I’m sure you’re right. I know there is very little space between top of front doors and the gutter rail.

Cheers

Alistair

2. #3 by genevasaintamour on March 24, 2014 - 8:55 pm

What is the black strip (with the holes in it) that is drilled to your top used for?

3. #5 by famillysyncro on March 25, 2014 - 4:24 pm

Love it Alistair.

You need to have them as a pair so you can dry stuff after a swim or an involuntary swim during kayaking……..

Jerome

• #6 by albell on March 25, 2014 - 9:49 pm

Now that is a good idea Jerome.

Ab

4. #7 by Pz on March 25, 2014 - 7:18 pm

Way to go Alistair.
    Put me down for 100, wholesale pricing of course.

• #8 by albell on March 25, 2014 - 9:49 pm

We’ll talk 🙂

Ab

5. #9 by themacdude on September 25, 2014 - 11:04 am

Do you sell these on thesamba?

• #10 by albell on September 25, 2014 - 7:13 pm

Hi,

No I dont. I’m not very good at biz, I have no idea what sort of price would be reasonable, any help?

Cheers

Alistair

6. #11 by Mike Luciano on July 21, 2015 - 7:44 pm

Hi! Would be interested in buying one of these…

email is michael.nicholas.luciano@gmail.com

Thanks! Good stuff

• #12 by albell on July 21, 2015 - 7:47 pm

Let me think on it, I’ll might sell you one of mine, I haven’t used it this year.

Cheers