Vanagon – iPad mini mount update

Things are never finished eh? I decided to cut down the length of the arm on the iPad mount (previous post about it here) and to glues some leather onto the mounting plate. Looks better I think, but it is still not finished, the cup washers I used are not large enough…

And yes, the heads of the machine screws are a bit awry. I’m not by any means OCD, but those screw heads really bug me.

IMG_2824

IMG_2825

1. #1 by famillysyncro on October 31, 2013 - 5:53 am

Looks nice.
    Looking at your pictures, I think we have the same radio. How do you like the volume control? I am not able to us it while driving, I always rely on the remote….

jerome

• #2 by albell on October 31, 2013 - 6:32 am

Jerome,

The radio controls are probably the worst I have ever used. One big button that controls many things, and it is so easy to twist/press it the wrong way when you are driving. You probably chose it for the same reasons I did – price was right, USB input in back, aux in front and back, iPod control, remote control.

Next head unit I buy will not have cd drive. I rarely use it theses days.

Cheers

Ab

• #3 by famillysyncro on October 31, 2013 - 6:40 am

Mine was in the van when I bought it and I too lazy to replace it even if I have a nice Sony waiting……
        You are right for the CD player, useless with a usb input in front now days…
        Don’t you have usb in front?

Jerome

• #4 by albell on October 31, 2013 - 6:45 am

Jerome,

In the imaginary perfect world car audio wiring harnesses would be standardized and swapping head units would be a breeze.

Ha!

I prefer the USB input on the rear ( aux in both rear and front on this unit). Having the USB back there helps to keep the dangling cord issue under control .

Ab

• #5 by famillysyncro on October 31, 2013 - 8:03 am

No cord for us, I only put a usb stick to play what is on it.

I saw you have a usb receptacle on your dash. This is on the shopping list for our next month trip to China, we might get it for less (as well a a lot of led lights, projectors…)

Jerome

• #6 by albell on October 31, 2013 - 8:13 am

Sometimes I use a thumb drive too. What I did with the rear mounted USB port is run the (supplied) USB extension cable up through a hole in the ashtray. The thumb drive fit in the closed ashtray.

Now with the ipad mount, that extension cable is mounted to the leather covered plate on hone mount. Cuts down the cable clutter a bit.

Remind me to send you a link to an android powered mini computer. Something around 40 bucks, atom chip, HDMI output, USB etc etc. very small form factor. Might be good as entertainment hub

Ab

• #7 by albell on October 31, 2013 - 8:15 am

• #8 by famillysyncro on October 31, 2013 - 9:59 am

Come on Alistair, you are going to put me in trouble… 😉

I had no idea of what you were talking about, followed the link, what the hell is that and search a little more…. love it, gave me some ideas.

As usual, in case of complains at home, I’ll make you accountable….. 🙂

Jerome

• #9 by albell on October 31, 2013 - 6:05 pm

Cool eh? The link to the engel page shows the company not making their version anymore, but they link to an Amazon page showing other, even cooler, versions.

Alistair

• #10 by famillysyncro on November 1, 2013 - 7:18 am

Real nice.
        We are looking at it (only looking at it for now), the RK 3188 seems to be nice:

We are usually carrying our laptop for that purpose but it would be nice to have an inexpensive system in the van.

We have a spare TV (32″) but I need to find room for it in the van, may be something like a overhead support at the rear of the van (only when we are going for a long trip).
        Need to put some DVD on a memory card too in that case….

Might be an issue to hold that TV while driving.

Anyway, only thoughts at this time…..

Jerome

• #11 by albell on November 1, 2013 - 7:24 am

Yeah, the little buggers have some merit. But you do need some sort of input device. You don’t really want a keyboard laying around, I wonder if a wireless mouse would not be better.

Ab

• #12 by famillysyncro on November 1, 2013 - 7:32 am

I found small wireless keyboard/mouse to go with them, some are even sold as a package…. with cables and everything:

Cannot find the link for the full package anymore…. sorry.

Jerome

• #13 by albell on November 1, 2013 - 7:56 am

Thanks Jerome, good link.

Ab