This winter I picked up an old Tu-28 Griphoist for next to nothing. I’ve been intrigued by these type of winches for years.
It was pretty dirty and missing the cable and handle. And a couple of the nylon bushings were worn, and one bushing missing. The idea was just to take apart and clean up, but as you’ll see I had the case and levers powder coated. And I made new plastic bushings.
The pics are pretty poor, I was just taking snaps to help me remember how things went together.
This guide helped me a lot
Couple of notes to add to the pics. You can see the three aluminum shear pins in the handle lever. Two sets of spares were packed in grease inside that handle. Might also be able to make out where the missing plastic bushing was supposed to be. And how the heck did a shrimp get inside the case?
The last pic is the hoist mostly assembled, I’ll get a better finished pic. And I’ve been absent from wordpress for a year and the changes to the editor has me a little stumped. I’d like the images in the gallery to be linked to full size… I’m trying … got it… clicking on image takes you to carousel of images.
Maybe dumping the images here might help anyone who decides to rebuild one of these hoists. For sure you can have things backwards on reassembly. I did, a few times.
#1 by Simon on May 7, 2021 - 5:33 pm
Gorgeous and a remarkable transformation
#2 by Simon on May 7, 2021 - 5:36 pm
Looks like it’s a lot more valuable than I would’ve thought !
#3 by albell on May 7, 2021 - 8:47 pm
The new ones are spendy. But there are clones. And there are many who think the griphoist over rated.
But I don’t care. I’ve got a wall hanger hoist 🙂
#4 by GBrooks on May 10, 2021 - 2:54 am
Nice work! I can’t tell you how excited I was to see a few new posts show up in my email this week. Thanks for putting the effort into the work and the post. 🙂