Vanagon – It’s a delicious spangle!

Just got the pics from Simon in Mexico, and the van is painted. Its Honda sunburst orange with black strip on window line and rockers. Simon says the colour really changes with the light and you can see that in the pics. I think it looks great, almost lickable 🙂

Addendum May 12, 2017.

Trevor commented that it reminded him of the new Air Canada livery. Yeah, I can see that .

1. #1 by Trev Reynolds on May 12, 2017 - 8:06 am

Very nice: I hope Simon is a fan of Air Canada’s new paint scheme as his new look has a similar appearance.

• #2 by albell on May 12, 2017 - 9:06 am

Oh oh Trev, I’ll have to look for a pic of that. More teasing nicknames might be in the offing 🙂

Cheers

Ab

2. #3 by Trev Reynolds on May 12, 2017 - 8:11 am

That didn’t take very long to complete either, if the van was taken apart on or around May 1st…!

3. #4 by John B on May 13, 2017 - 8:12 am

I’m fascinated! Just having done mine I know the cost and prep time in SA. How on earth does one do it so quickly while traveling? In SA also it’s real money and we all agonize quite a while before doing a spray job on any vehicle. Is it really cost effective over there?

• #5 by albell on May 13, 2017 - 10:02 am

Hi John,

Yes, it’s real money too up here in BC. Might be a couple of reasons it was cheaper in la Paz. One might be the lack of strict environmental rules on paint and clean up. And second could be the lower labour rates. Simon told me he was on site quite a bit overseeing things such as seam treatment, rust repairs, and masking. I think the total price was somewhere around 20,000 pesos.

Cheers

Ab

4. #6 by Simon on May 15, 2017 - 1:00 pm

Hi all,

Simon here… I’ll just chime in that the job took about 17 days total, started on Monday April 24th and completed Wednesday May 10th. So not quite as quick as it might’ve seemed from Alistair’s descriptions. As Al mentioned there was a lot of oversight required to make sure that the job was done ‘as right as feasible’. It wasn’t the full restoration of my dreams and even with a lot of work and attendance and direction on my part there are still plenty of little imperfections with the job, but overall I’m quite happy with how it came out, especially in light of the price 21000MXN plus the cost of a dremel tool and some rust converter paint that I bought for the shop. I’ll be sending a few more pics out to Alistair and I’d be disappointed if he didn’t share them here 🙂